[GRLUG] Samba user management

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Feb 25 09:51:14 EST 2015

On Tue, 2015-02-24 at 12:56 -0500, Mark Farver wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2015 12:34 PM, "L. V. Lammert" <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Mark Farver wrote:
> The industry has long outgrown the "MS is crap" attitude.

+1

> > Never used AD and don't plan to, just looking for a simple way to
> >allow clients to admin Samba usres.
> I'm not a MS fan, having been deploying Linux into production since
> 1994, but I can assure you that AD really has no parallel.  It's
> replication and support for both Windows and Unix clients is
> excellent, and the tools to administer it have a long and well tested
> history.  It is dense and opaque at times, but for most situations it
> is better than the alternatives.

+1  Refusing to use Active Directory [which, BTW, Samba4 provides
effortlessly] is really choosing a route of pain.  You can be Open and
use Active Directory.  Active Directory *finally* provides a
just-do-it-this-way solution for identity and authentication, and it
uses standard protocols to do it [LDAP and Kerberos].

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383