[GRLUG] Samba user management

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Feb 25 09:44:30 EST 2015

On Tue, 2015-02-24 at 09:46 -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> There does not seem to be any resonable "Windoze admin level" way to
> manage Samba - something that a local admin can do 'point-and-click'.

Windows MMC tools work perfectly with Samba.

> Have used Webmin in the past, but that is really way too complicated.
> Having to add users and change passwords on the command like is just way
> too primitive.

Yast2 provides a WebUI and Yast2 integrates with Active Directory.

> What do folks to for Samba user management nowdays? If nothing else, a way
> to do PAM with current Samba? [There are some notes on doing that in 2003
> WinBind days, but nothing more recent.]

I would use SSSD these days, which integrates very well with Kerberos
and Active Directory.  pam_sssd provide PAM authentication via SSSD.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383