[GRLUG] Samba user management

Mark Farver mfarver at mindbent.org
Tue Feb 24 12:56:18 EST 2015

On Feb 24, 2015 12:34 PM, "L. V. Lammert" <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Mark Farver wrote:
>
> > If you need to have Windows admins using something, maybe you should try
> > just doing it in Windows Server.
> >
> Huh? We cannot recommend a client spend $2K - $5K on crap they don't need,
> .. Hope that isn't common practice!

Compared to salaries licensing is generally a drop in the bucket.  A
skilled consultant knows all the solutions available and recommends a
solution that is best for the client, taking into account the entire
lifecycle costs.  If you are making recommendations based on personal bias
you are doing your clients a disservice.

The industry has long outgrown the "MS is crap" attitude.  Today most
companies have a mix of technologies and use whichever is most productive
for the task at hand.  Unix tends to be a winner for Internet and embedded
tasks, Windows still has a leg up for ease of use, authentication and
desktop software.

It appears to me that you regularly consult this list for free advice on
topics that your clients are paying you for expertise on.

> Never used AD and don't plan to, just looking for a simple way to allow
> clients to admin Samba usres.

I'm not a MS fan, having been deploying Linux into production since 1994,
but I can assure you that AD really has no parallel.  It's replication and
support for both Windows and Unix clients is excellent, and the tools to
administer it have a long and well tested history.  It is dense and opaque
at times, but for most situations it is better than the alternatives.

Mark