[GRLUG] Hosting recommendations

Matt Behrens matt at zigg.com
Mon Mar 31 18:51:52 EDT 2014

On Mar 31, 2014, at 3:25 PM, Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> By far, I'd separate out DNS. DNS Made Easy, in my opinion is just as
> it's name says. It is also exceptionally scalable and offers many
> services for free with DNS hosting. While it is ~$30/year for 10 domains
> (I think) the reliability and usefulness far exceeds the cost.

Definitely on the same page here.  I also saw they have an SMTP relay which may be useful in lieu of my fetchmail arrangement.  However… I didn’t see anything about two-factor?  Getting increasingly necessary, I’m afraid 😔

> What is wrong with Gmail?

Without launching into my usual spiel, let’s just say I’m very concerned about contributing to the increased centralization of the Internet.

On Mar 31, 2014, at 3:40 PM, Topher <topher at codeventure.net> wrote:

> Signed PGP part
> >> I?d rather not administer any services (besides what?s on the other
> >> end of my fetchmail) myself.
>
> Had you not said that I'd recommend Digital Ocean.  I might still, it's
> a crazy cheap way to try it, and quit if you hate it.

I… might.  I am not really keen on running the open end of an SMTP port though.  (I’m confident enough I can handle not being dumb enough to become an open relay, and I do manage postfix already—it’s not like I’m uncomfortable with it—but it sounds like work I don’t necessarily want to undertake.)

P.S. Topher, my PGP sigs always seem to validate coming back through the ML, but yours read as invalid for some reason.  Haven’t looked into why.