[GRLUG] ddrescue

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 18:16:13 EDT 2014

That one is from the days of bricking windows boxes for fun. It's been a few years, but I recall rsync -avz would even copy partition info if it was called like

rsync -avz /dev/sda /dev/sdb

Where sda contained sda(1,2) and sdb did have any partitions. Probably not the purest solution, for block-by-block copying, but since it's rsync you can stop and start, call it again later and all sorts of near stuff.

Don't screw up the boot up :-) If this partition is the boot partition, the bootmgr may want you to set the boot flag. fdisk can do that, rsync won't.

Let us know if it works or fails.

-j

--

Right to Life of Michigan