[GRLUG] DNS Weirdness

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Mon Jun 23 17:14:05 EDT 2014

OK, .. here's a head scratcher! One of our clients is using SRSPlus as a
domain registrar, and we're *trying* to use a local copy of bind.

Problem is, the base records for the domain DNS servers keep 'vanishing'!
For example, at the end of last week, ns1 was visible but ns2 was not:

$ host ns1.wtwebdev.com
ns1.wtwebdev.com has address 208.82.146.90

and ns1 was not:

$ host ns2.wtwebdev.com
ns2.wtwebdev.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Today, ns1 is gone and ns2 is visible!

If course, they resolve just fine *using* ns1 or ns2, what I can't figure
out is why the base record keeps disappearing. If it were a caching issue,
would not ns1 *stay* visible? SRSPlus says it works fine there, of course.

Testing from outside machines yields mixed results, there seems to be no
pattern to the problem. If anyone can contribute some DNSfoo, please do!

	Lee