[GRLUG] Untangle vs pfSense vs ?

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 11:37:52 EDT 2014

For home, I'd ideally like firewall, dhcp, nat, web filter, ad blocking. 3
users with about 10 devices at any time

For work, I'd like the above as well as qos and intrusion detection. 25
users with about 40 devices at peak usage

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:20 AM, Patrick Goupell <patrick at upmerchants.com>
wrote:

>  What type of firewall apps to you need/want?  web filter, web cache, qos,
> something else?
>
> That might help in recommending something.
>

> On 06/19/2014 09:07 AM, Ben Rousch wrote:
>
> I would like to install a firewall appliance at home and am looking at
> recommendations. I don't want to roll my own, so I'm looking at distros
> like Untangle or pfSense.
>
>  I am currently using Untangle at work. I'm pretty happy with it, but the
> price of non-free modules (web filter, web cache, qos) is higher than I
> would like, especially for home.
>
>  So I'm looking for opinions from those of you who use pfSense, Untangle,
> or similar firewall distros.
>
>  --
>  Ben Rousch
>    brousch at gmail.com