[GRLUG] Why does removing a stick of memory make a PC work?

Philip Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 02:33:13 EST 2014

I have noticed on numerous occasions that after removing parts from a PC or
it having sat unused for a long time that when I try to start it the fans
and disks will spin up, but that's it. There's no POST sounds, good or bad
and there is no video output to the monitor. The work around that always
seems to work is to remove a stick of memory. Then the system will start
and run as expected. And after putting the removed stick back the system
continues to start and run as expected.

As anyone else seen this? Any thoughts as to what is going on?

Phil