[GRLUG] Remote Extensions VOIP

Dan Pilcheck pilcheck at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 17:04:15 EST 2014

Lee,
Our remote sites are connected via OpenVPN tunnels. (between the remote's
UBNT EdgeRouter Lite and our Untangle at the main office).
This allows our remote extensions to appear as local endpoints to the PBX.
Honestly, this has worked _much_ better than expected and saved some real
headaches dealing with SIP, RTP, NAT and security.

We are considering letting an agent or two work from home, so I find myself
in your position also.

Softphones over the vpn tunnel (split or full) work great for our Windows
and Android clients.
However, our old Polycom's aren't as flexible and would need a vpn
appliance somewhere in between.

HTH,

-- Dan

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> If we have a VOIP server inhouse, .. would a remote extension require an
> actual hardware VPN, or are the other options?
>
>         TIA!
>
>         Lee

Who is to say that the next step in evolution is not a statistical chance
but rather a by-product of our own will?
That from here on out, nature stops deciding who survives and who doesn't,
but our own decisions?