[GRLUG] Exchange Replacement Opportunity

Patrick Goupell patrick at upmerchants.com
Wed Feb 12 12:42:56 EST 2014

On 02/12/2014 12:19 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:54 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
>> Have an opportunity to propose an IMAP server to replace Exchange, .. what
>> is a good recommendation considering:
>>
>>   * Security - SPAM/Virus filtering
>>   * Flexibility - any number of domains or users per domain
>>   * Maintenance - Web-based UI for normal admin (i.e. SysAdmin not
>>     required)
>>   * Compatibility - standard IMAP, of course, .. but is it worthwhile to
>>     goto a more 'Exchange Compatible' architecture
>>
>> My initial research had create a big question:
>>
>> Most of the 'name' systems (e.g. Zimbra, Zentyal), have not realy
>> security; NONE I have seen will do milter style filtering (i.e. reject
>> before acceptance any emails from a dynamic IP block).
>>
>> What are folks using now?
>>
>>          Thanks!
> You'll need to piece something together.
>
> Dovecot for IMAP. Postfix for SMTP. Any webmail client you like that
> can be backed by IMAP.
>
> There are tools that provide Exchange-compatible gear, but I don't
> remember what they're called.

howtoforge.com has some good tutorials on setting up email with multiple
domains, users, spam filtering and more.

Just go there and search on "email virtual users domains".

There are tutorials for .deb and .rpm baed distributrions.

--
Patrick Goupell

Are you free?  Find out at http://www.sedm.org/
Income taxes?  Find out at http://www.whatistaxed.com