[GRLUG] Dead Computer - final report

Patrick Goupell patrick at upmerchants.com
Tue Feb 11 09:08:53 EST 2014

Just to let you know the end result.  (Original thread started December
16, 2013).

Replaced the memory module about 5 to 6 weeks ago.  Problem went away
for a few days and then returned.

A couple of weeks ago I went to print something and the print jusst
disappeared.  CUPS said it had the job and was prodessing it and it was
printed.  But nothing actually come out on the printer.

Shortly after that cups said I did not have any printer.

Did an "lshw" to check for the parallel port and it wasn't there.

So I pulled the parallel port pci card and put it into a seldom used
computer with windows xp.  No new hardware found dialog when I turned it
on.

The problem disappeared on my main computer after I removed the parallel
port pci card.  So that seems to have been the problem.

Ordered a new parallel port card.

--
Patrick Goupell

Are you free?  Find out at http://www.sedm.org/