[GRLUG] entertaining bit of satire re M$ (I think it's satire)

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Tue Feb 11 08:44:12 EST 2014

Eric, I am sending this to the list, rather than privately. (But also
BCC to you)

Unless you are sending personal info or are involved in a conversation
out side the list topic brought up (even if it is one like this)... it
is not good netiquette.

On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 07:41 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> Greg (replying privately),
> Your reply raises two different questions.
>
> 1.  Why you don't find it funny: "Funny" is so often in the "eye" of the
> beholder that I don't have any problem at all with your not finding it
> funny. My wife doesn't find my puns funny and I don't find sitcoms funny
> or fun. To each according to their taste.

Sure Eye of the beholder... sure I get that. But we have/used to have
craploads of "NOT LINUX" threads... just look at the list archive. Not
cool. If you want stabs at Windows/Microsoft... go somewhere else, no a
LUG List. I came back to the list when the main perpetrator left the
list. Yes, grumpy old me.

> 2.  Why you don't think it should be thrown out to the list: I would
> disagree with you here. All or nearly all of us on the list have to
> struggle often or regularly with MS products. A little schadenfreude
> relative to these struggles is good for the soul. And even imagining
> Bill being hoist on his own pitard can help make the day go slightly
> better. I happened to share the piece yesterday with my boss as he was
> struggling to get IE to download the Chrome browser to a Windows server,
> and it lightened his load.
>
> Interestingly, the author of the piece is no computer geek or Linux
> devotee. His satirical work ranges far and wide--note the other post
> topics  at the top of the referenced post.

Dealing/reading/looking at/with Windows/Microsoft is not something I
want to do anymore than humanly possible. Period. If I'd want to do
that, I'd not be working where I do. Don't particularly care whom the
author is, even if it was Linux Torvalds himself, it is *still* not
appropriate to a LUG List. Yes, Andy Borowitz is a BRILLIANT author and
comments on things far and wide, yes, I don't care to read them here,
any person worth their salt finds these things and reads them in the
proper venue (aka not here). I came here for Linux topics or perhaps
Windows topics that do indeed pertain to Linux (like configuring samba
to integrate with Windows MAD or other things similar.

> EB

GET OFF MY LAWN!