[GRLUG] Postfix Error info

megadave megadave at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 12:42:51 EDT 2013

Do you know the IP address of the sender host? Does it show in the logs?
Have you checked to see if it has a PTR record, with a matching A record?

Does postfix log the "HELO" argument sent by the sending server? What is
it? Does it contain only valid characters?

I use Exim. If it rejects a host, it clearly shows the IP address of the
rejected server, as well as the specific configured reason it was rejected,
wether thts based on IP address, remote hostname, sender address or domain,
etc). It shows the HELO name given by the server.

If it is configured to check matching forward/reverse DNS, if it finds a
mismatch, it clearly logs the specific host name and IP address which it
finds to mismatch. It can even be configured to log the individual lines of
the SMTP connection (HELO/EHLO, MAIL FROM, RCPT TO) as well as its
if desired (this can be per-sender-host, if needed for intensive debugging)

I can even "fake" a connection from a specified IP address, and see what
checks it is processing as it performs them, and see if/where it fails a
check, based on what information.