[GRLUG] Postfix Error info

megadave megadave at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 12:03:17 EDT 2013

Well, I wouldnt say "send a postfix error" to the sender.  I would use the
error message to determine what the problem is. (eg, "your hostname has no
DNS record", or "your hostname has an illegal character", etc) and then
tell them THAT.

Perhaps there is some documentation for postfix that might explain what
that error means. I am used to SMTP servers that give specific information
when they log an error that identifies exactly what the cause is.

I also make it a point to know exactly what conditions under which a server
I run does or does not accept mail from sender hosts.

I'm assuming you've done the basics and verified that the sender is sending
to the correct address, and that their email client is properly configured
with their valid sender address. Do you know if your server rejects ALL
mail from this sending server, or just from this one user?

If you'd like to get more information about the SMTP transaction from this
problematic sender, I could setup a temporary address on a server under my
control, and you could have your sender attempt to email it. If mine
rejects it, I would be able to tell you exactly why.  If it accepts it, I
may be able to provide details about the transaction that might help you
identify why your server is rejecting it.