[GRLUG] Postfix Error info

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Tue Sep 10 11:32:05 EDT 2013

Occasionally we run across a misconfigured sending email server that
throws errors [causing a reject here] such as "Hostname not found" [et
al].

In trying to actually get the problem resolved at the sender, however, I
have been unable to find any good explanations of such error, or where it
occurs in the MTA handshake. IOW, "This might be the problem" is not very
convincing to a chap that thinks their system IS configured properly, and
they often ignore the problem entirely because so many OTHER email servers
ignore such problems.

Has anyone seen any good descriptions I can cite to help confince others
to fix a problem with their mail server? (*Especially* Windoze, one of the
most common offenders.)

	TIA!

	Lee