[GRLUG] Any sendmail folks out there?

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Oct 28 18:52:17 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 17:43 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> > In the /etc/sendmail.cf
> >
> >         # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> >         DSmail.somedomain.dom
> >
> Sending chokes if the entry is NOT a FQDN, ..

YES a Fully Qualified Domain Name is NOT "mail" it would be
"mail.somedomain.dom"

I have some of my machines going to an alternate server in my network.
It is only listed in /etc/hosts... listed as a FULLY QUALIFIED ENTRY.

JUST LIKE I INCLUDED IN THE PREVIOUS MESSAGE.

> > As well as getting /etc/hosts to be read this setting
> > in /etc/nsswitch.conf must be there:
> >
> >       #hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
> >        hosts:      files dns
> >
> Ahh, .. missed the location. That is the current setting:

> #hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
> hosts:      files dns
>
> > Then, restarting the machine. This missing probably explains why it is
> > not recognizing "hosts".
> >
> Ahh, .. this is not a Windoze server <g>!! service works just fine for
> restarting (is there some reason you assume it would not?).
>

> From what I have seen online, sendmail does require a DNS lookup for full
> RFC compliance, so one can't knock it for running as expected.
>
> What I don't understand is why there isn't an option to bypass if required
> by the network configuration.

You obviously don't understand, that DNS lookups are cached by default
in memory by the kernel. Unless you know how to purge that cache,
restarting is the easiest way.

Well... OK, you refuse to follow what I said and argue with me. I;ve
been using sendmail for nearly 15 years and Exim for about 12.

I'm out.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience."
    -- Paulo Coelho