[GRLUG] sound card questions

Topher topher at codeventure.net
Sun Oct 27 19:29:51 EDT 2013

I have this machine:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02628226&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5049513

All in all I've been very happy with it, but the audio recording is very
static-ey.  It has an onboard audio card.

I'm running Arch Linux, and ALSA.  I've tried OSS and Pulse, no luck.
I've tried different mics, and both mic ports on the box (one on the
front, one on the back).

I've read lots and lots of docs, both on the Arch wiki and the ALSA pages.

You guys are my last hope, any ideas?

Related, if I can't make it work, I'll probably just buy a new
soundcard.  How hard is it to make Linux be happy with 2 sound cards in
the box, using the right one for the right things?

Topher