[GRLUG] Getting a straight connection from Comcast

Jeff DeFouw mrj at plorb.com
Sat Oct 26 14:55:08 EDT 2013

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 08:21:49AM -0400, Matt Behrens wrote:
> Oh yeah, that?s right, they lease, don?t they.  How soon I forgot how
> the cable company works.  Probably a good idea.  (In which case I?m in
> the market for recommendations, if they?re still on the shelves.)

I'm using a Motorola SB6121 that I bought from Newegg.  The
SB6120/SB6121 were popular retail modems at the time.  I switched to it
from an old DOCSIS 1.x modem after several lease price increases.  It's
worked fine with my Performance service.  Comcast's approved modem list
gives it an IPv6 check mark, so maybe some day that will work.

> Also: any craziness with SMTP?  I have a Postfix config right now that
> establishes the required SSL connect to AT&T and authenticates plus I
> manage a whitelist of authorized envelope addresses.  Hoping whatever
> I have to do for outbound SMTP is equally or less insane.

I use Comcast's SMTP for outgoing the same way and I've never had a
problem.  There are no whitelists to set.  After you authenticate, they
don't seem to care what the envelope says.  I only use this address.

--
Jeff DeFouw <mrj at plorb.com>