[GRLUG] Getting a straight connection from Comcast

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sat Oct 26 10:08:00 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-10-26 at 08:21 -0400, Matt Behrens wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2013, at 8:18 AM, Richard Nienhuis
> <richardnienhuis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When I ordered comcast I just told them I was supplying my own modem
> and bought one.
>
> Oh yeah, that’s right, they lease, don’t they.  How soon I forgot how
> the cable company works.  Probably a good idea.  (In which case I’m in
> the market for recommendations, if they’re still on the shelves.)
>
> Also: any craziness with SMTP?  I have a Postfix config right now that
> establishes the required SSL connect to AT&T and authenticates plus I
> manage a whitelist of authorized envelope addresses.  Hoping whatever
> I have to do for outbound SMTP is equally or less insane.

Comcast blocks *all* outgoing connections to port 25 outside of its
network.

IOW, any delivery from your DHCP / Dynamic Address, will not work.
Unless you have a static IP Address with a Business Account.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"The world can only be grasped by action, not by contemplation."
    -- Jacob Bronowski