[GRLUG] Remote control of ARM development board

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Fri Oct 18 18:46:42 EDT 2013

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013, rodney nunya wrote:

> I am curious if anyone has any suggestions on how best to control a board
> such as a Beagle Bone, rasberry pi or similar.

This is a major reason why we always use a standard kernel. A RPi, for
example, supports standard ssh server/client interaction, along with all
of the related utilities.

> I am wondering what is the fastest non LAN connection I could make between
> the ARM and the computer. Most of the boards I looked at have USB 2.0 ports
> and they have a serial console available.

What is the issue with a LAN connection? It is by far the simplest way to
communicate with any embedded device, .. also trivial to use a miniUSB
Ethernet adapter for no-wires, if needed.

> What I am considering at this time is to build a specialized "switchboard"
> type program on the Linux boxes that would run the programs and look for
> the responses and communicate with a program on the PC that would then
> decide which programs to run and such.

Perfect application for ssh!

For example, the first RPi system I build is a media server - ssh to the
box, run mpg123 to play a stream and alsamixer to control if needed.

	Lee