[GRLUG] friends, geeks, linuxheads, lend me your advice!

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Oct 6 17:49:21 EDT 2013

> I would be very interested in your final choice on this.
> I am also currently looking for a home router setup.  I really want it
> run debian or pfsense, be fanless and take little to no power.
> for complete fanless get a power supply like this
>  http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-150-XT and a notebook power brick.

I don't find such things to be worth the inevitable fuss.  A laptop a
couple of years old is (a) way beefy enough to do anything you want (b)
has excellent power management (c) is standard[-ish, at least] (d) has a
built-in UPS and (e) both ethernet and wireless networking.

Put the OS on SSD internal to the laptop and the data on drives with
power management, let the display turn off, and your power consumption
will be low and you'll still be able to do anything you want.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383