[GRLUG] friends, geeks, linuxheads, lend me your advice!

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Sun Oct 6 17:03:59 EDT 2013

Some research suggested that one of the bigger gotchas to worry about
with putting both the router and the storage on the same box is botching
the firewall config and leaving the entire filestore open to the
Internet. I think the best way to minimize that risk is to virtualize
one of them. Security-wise it would be best to run the router on the
host and virtualize the storage, but the other way would be faster. In
some cases it's possible to directly assign a network adapter to a
virtual machine, which should let me run the wireless and outside
network in the VM and leave the host for the internal. Hmm, that would
have all wifi file sharing going through the VM, but at least disk
access would be from the host.

For OS, I've been experimenting with Arch Linux, but OpenWRT has been
compiled for desktop chips, and that might work well for at least the
router OS, but I'd rather have the same one on both if possible.

The hardest part is hardware, I think, as I'm pretty cheap, but I don't
want to end up underspending and having to do it again.