[GRLUG] OT, .. Rebuildable RAID1

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue May 21 06:05:32 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-05-19 at 21:53 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Sun, 19 May 2013, Jeff DeMaagd wrote:
> > I think the general solution is to use the mirroring feature in your choice of OS.
> That was the original design and implementation, only to find out that the
> Intel MSM was incabable of rebuilding the array after a disk failed.

Using the Intel MSM is not using "the mirroring feature in your choice
of OS".   But there is no support for OS-level mirroring in Windows XP,
you need to be on Windows 2000/2003 Server as well as be using Dynamic
Volumes to have that feature [Basic vs. Dynamic volumes is one of the
most frustrating 'features' of all time].

The simplest approach here would just be to upgrade the OS and use
mirroring via the volume manager.  Then you can skip all the toy
hardware.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383