[GRLUG] OT, .. Rebuildable RAID1

Matt Behrens matt at zigg.com
Mon May 20 08:26:27 EDT 2013

On May 19, 2013, at 11:04 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> Following up, ... has anyone experience with this style of SATA RAID card?
> The specs state Linux compatible, so would that not mean they provide
> "real" RAID support and could be a HW option to the Intel MSM?

I've got nothing specific on this card, but Linux support is achievable with a driver, so that's not necessarily a sign it's a real hardware controller.

I have a server with Intel ESRT2 upstairs.  There seems to be enough support to boot Linux and you can build your RAID set from a BIOS screen, but you need a driver disk at install time to have it actually function once the kernel is up and running.  Without the driver, you have no running system.

Hurts a little that said driver is only available from Intel in poorly-documented binary form, rather than included in the kernel directly.