[GRLUG] OT, .. Rebuildable RAID1

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Sun May 19 21:50:16 EDT 2013

On Sun, 19 May 2013, Mike Williams wrote:

> Is the array at least still up? I had a fakeRAID controller years ago
> where the array was marked as unusable as soon as the primary drive
> failed, regardless of the status of the secondary. No, a proper mirror
> set doesn't have a primary drive, but this piece of junk did. I just
> pulled the fakeRAID card, plugged the primary drive into the motherboard
> and rebuilt the startup environment.

Yes, it is still running on one drive, with nightly backups.

> I've never used this particular card series, but have you confronted
> Intel's (or the card manufacturer's) support about their unusable utility?

Their support forums have numerous reports of this issue, but no solution.

I was going to try and get a 2-port SATA 'real' RAID card, but have been
unable to identify a 'real' one worth testing.

If anyone has a suggestion, please advise.

	Thanks!

	Lee