[GRLUG] M$* Blue

Thad Ward coderjoe69 at yahoo.com
Fri May 10 14:13:35 EDT 2013

On 05/10/2013 09:56 AM, Michael Mol wrote:

> So, Microsoft developed something called Windows Core. I forget if this
> started with Vista or Win7. I think Vista. Anyway, the purpose of
> Windows Core was to make the system much, much more modular. I forget
> what the minimum requirements for the fully stripped down core are, but
> I remember they sounded insanely low when announced.

I'm not sure about when the name came about, but that modularity was available
in the XP era with the Windows XP Embedded stuff. Using a DevStudio-like UI,
you could pick the packages you needed (including ones you created for your
program(s)), and the system would walk the dependency tree and pull in and
configure other packages that were needed, distilling down to an image you
could then deploy to your device. There were even options for if there should
be a boot logo (but I don't recall if it was customizable) and if video was even
needed.