[GRLUG] M$* Blue

Mike Williams knightperson at zuzax.com
Fri May 10 01:33:36 EDT 2013

It's a bit of history repeating itself. In the days of Windows 2000 and
such, Microsoft did their unification theory between server OS and
desktop OS. Windows 2000 (and I'm pretty sure NT 4, but this knowledge
is rusty) had basically identical code for workstation and server
products. Slight tweaks to the scheduler, different licensing models,
and the option of installing more server applications were the only
differences between server and workstation. So server hardware had to
run the full, fairly processor-intensive for its day, NT 4 GUI on
servers that nobody ever used as workstations. While 100 megs of memory
and 4 megs of video memory are trivial these days, servers of the day
didn't always have that to spare. Linux made a better server OS in many
cases because you could save a significant fraction of the machine's
meager resources by not running the GUI.

It's a similar problem with Windows 8. Like a server is not a
workstation, a desktop is not a tablet! MS figured this out in later
server versions, differentiating them from the desktop OS even though
they share quite a bit of code, but they're trying to make something
that works as both a tablet-on-the-go operating system and a
desktop-at-real-work, and it isn't working. I've been forced to use
Windows 8 a bit at work (because somebody, somewhere really loves the
Surface), and it feels like a toy. This big, animated tiles thing so I
can quickly pick out the one application I want  to look at, rather than
the start menu that takes up a small amount of screen space to let me
add another running application to the five I already have going.
Windows 8's interface might be perfectly viable if I just need to read
something during a commute (consuming content), but it sucks for doing
any real work (creating content).

Yes, I'll get off my soapbox now.