[GRLUG] desktop not aligned after disconnecting external monitor

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Thu May 9 14:43:16 EDT 2013

My external monitor to my Lenovo x120e starts up fine (Fedora 17). I
plug it in, go to system settings, where it has been noticed and just
switch it to on. It aligns nicely and I can drag stuff easily back and
forth.

But I can't seem to find the right path to disconnecting it. I've tried
turning it off in System Settings before disconnecting, disconnecting
with it turned on, disconnecting after I've powered down the monitor.

It always seems to result in the desk icons being skewed way to the
left, so just the right few columns of icons show. The only way I've
been able to get the desktop right is to reboot.

That shouldn't be necessary, should it?

Thanks.