[GRLUG] live USB web server

Dave Chiodo megadave at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 00:06:31 EDT 2013

That may be - I was of course speaking as far as the technical
capability, not whether it was in good taste.

Although UPnP doesnt change the "config" of the router. It basically
opens a return path, much like NAT does anyway, except it allows for
inbound connections - its a service provided by the router, if it
supports it.

If this is a router in a corporate environment, maintained by
qualified admins, it probably does NOT have UPnP suport enabled. If it
does, one *could* argue that its admins intended for internal machines
to be able to request inbound port forwarding.

But yes, its always a good idea to ask before using a network in such
a manner, if you are not the administrator of said network, to stay
out of legal hot water.

The webserver inside could also always ssh out to some machine under
the control of its owner, that itself has a public IP, and then use
ssh port-forwarding to map a port from that machine back to itself. A
"reverse VPN" so to speak.