[GRLUG] live USB web server

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Wed Mar 27 23:08:29 EDT 2013

If I'm running apache on my laptop and have dynamic DNS service, can I
function as a website from a NATted LAN without having access to the
LAN's router to set up port forwarding--eg, in a public hotspot?

A browser can have two-way communication from a NATted position. But as
I understand it, that's because the browser initiates the contact and
the router can recognize replies to that initiated contact.

This seems to break down to two questions:
1. Can my computer on the "foreign" LAN communicate the LAN's public IP
address to the dynamic DNS service? I'm guessing that I could manually
let the dynamic DNS know, once I use something like "WhatismyIP.com."

2. If that's done, is there a way that someone who thereby knows my
domain's temporary public IP address can get beyond the router to my web
server?