[GRLUG] VPS disagreement

desert frag desertfrag at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 16 12:02:26 EDT 2013

Earlier this week I posted about the $40/yr VPS deal going on at slickdeals.

I ended up purchasing a second account through them and now have a small issue.  Having a second account enabled me to compare performance between the two.  Identical systems, identical OS's, fresh installs on both.  I downloaded a program to both servers which taxes the cpu's so I could pull a 'top' and compare what type of cpu usage I'm seeing.

To my surprise one server shows average cpu usage well above 94%, the other around 70% with minimums in the 40% range.  I asked tech support about this, even did screenshots of not only top but pidstat.  After telling them my systems were identical, their reply was both servers are on little utilized nodes, plus this ...

'This is an issue with the way you configured your applications, and as
we are not experienced with the software you're running along with the
fact we are an unmanaged VPS provider, you'll need to investigate this
further. If you wish to start fresh you can reinstall the VPS from our
VPS control panel.'

Apparently they ignored the 'same app's' info I gave them.  Nevertheless I went ahead and resinstalled fresh on the server showing the 70% scores per their suggestion.  No change, in fact if anything cpu usage is even a bit lower.

Before I step up the pressure, are there some definitive cpu % usage test apps anyone could suggest?  While my suspicion is a hardware/node sharing issue on their end I want further ammo.