[GRLUG] CentOS IP Weirdness

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Mar 13 14:03:47 EDT 2013

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013, Dave Chiodo wrote:

> sshd might only be listening on specific IP's. If the machine has
> multiple IP's, and some were configured "on the fly" after services
> were started, unless SSH was restarted afterwards it my not bind the
> new IPs.

Not using sshd on the machine with port 2205 open, .. sshd is on the other
end of the tunnel (port 2206, which does work properly). Unless I am
missing the point?

> Its also possible its specifically configured to listen only on specific IPs.
>
> run this on the machine in question to see what its listening to:
>
> netstat -tan | grep LISTEN | grep :2205

It *does* only show localhost:

tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:2205          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 ::1:2205                :::*                    LISTEN

Why would it not bind to the IP used in the connect?

	Thanks!!

	Lee