[GRLUG] Slightly OT, .. SMB Router Recommendation

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Mar 8 06:11:50 EST 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-07 at 12:04 -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2013, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > Buy a used Cisco 28xx series router off E-Bay.  It will handle a *lot*
> > of traffic, and will be extremely reliable.
> It looks like a Cisco RV180W has a GigE network switch, .. and we can
> probably live with the WiFi; it does n & most VPN clients.

Beware that Cisco purchased Linksys.  Many of there non-numeric named
products are crap running a crippled OS, terrible management interfaces,
and lots of technical limitations.  The glossies look good, but then you
log into them... and urg!

None of the massive amount of Cisco documentation [all about IOS] will
apply to the whack-job one-off device you end up with, probably that
device will have few updates and a very short supported life.

Unless the product is specifically listed as an IOS device, and *NOT*
"IOS-lite", I wouldn't touch it wearing latex gloves and holding a 50ft.
pole.

Seriously,  a 48 port switch where no defined vLAN could involve more
than 24 ports??? WTF!  If you leave IOS that is the kind of retard stuff
you'll run into.  You will be confident I-can-do-X-and-Y until you try
and you can't because of some totally off-the-@&&@*@-wall limitation
nobody who can add 2 and 2 would ever expect to encounter.

--
Adam Tauno Williams  GPG D95ED383