[GRLUG] Pentium 4 and Gentoo Linux?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Jun 20 10:20:55 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 08:23 -0400, Zetaphor . wrote:
> I'm just going to leave this here :-)
> http://funroll-loops.info/

:)  Sweet.

<QUOTE>
Yet, binary distros are riddled with bugs, and are much more annoying to
fix given the the cumbersome edit/build package/install package cycle.
</QUOTE>

Heh, because compiling code magically makes the bugs go away.  Wow, I
never knew that....

>>you compile out all kinds of junk you don't want or use by changing
>>your USE flags, and that, for me anyway, makes a significant
>>difference in speed and power consumption vs. a generic "cram every
>>feature in, just in case it's ever needed" build.

Honestly I find even that hard to believe;  unused pages can be swapped
out.  And once shared libraries are memory-mapped additional references
are essentially free.  So unless the architecture has a totally crap I/O
subsystem (so load times are horrible) or a very decrepit MMU - a
perceptible change is hard to believe.

> Perception is 90% of the perceived benefit

yep.

<QUOTE>You're just pissed because my 28 second Honda smoked yuo,
lol!</QUOTE>

In the interest of full discloser this snickering-at-Gentoo message is
being written by a guy [me] who owns a 1919 Model-T Ford with a
high-lift camshaft, alloy pistons, a SCAT racing crankshaft, kevlar
transmission bands, and a Bosch ignition system.

Note that a Model-T Depot Hack weighs next to nothing - so
out-of-the-gate I can "smoke" just about anybody.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383