[GRLUG] Evolution NO TLS?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Jul 29 11:05:14 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-29 at 10:39 -0400, Mark Farver wrote:
> Are you using the right port (110 or 143)?  I remember something about
> Evolution forcing SSL if you use port 993 (imaps) or port 995 (pops).

'Evolution' does not force SSL for those ports - those ports are *for*
SSL secured connections; hence "imaps" and "pops".  Any other use of
those ports is simply incorrect.

If you are using TLS then you just use the normal 110 & 143 ports.
Assuming your server/provider supports TLS.

>Is it *POSSIBLE* to use Evolution with an internal email server (no
>security)?

Certainly, it works perfectly.

>Tried to setup Evolution to play with it, but it wants to use TLS even
>if you have "No Security" selected!

Perhaps the server requires TLS in order to authenticate?

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383