[GRLUG] Newbie Network Quality Question

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 16:25:20 EST 2013

How can I diagnose internet quality Issues?  Currently I am having
very weird issues with my internet.  Speed tests show acceptable ping and
full download and upload speed, but connecting to a long running(
relatively) service like ssh into my server at home, updating gems, playing
an online game, gmail spell-check, time out, most of the time.

I can e-mail, even emailing 500kb files, no problem.  Googling works a
treat, but some sites time out as well.

ssh is spotty if it doesn't time out.  Netstat is still pumping out lines
every 5-10 minutes without timing out.

Any ideas on what is up?  I am on wireless, I could connect the cat5 and
see if this helps, in fact I'll do that but I'd like to hear some more
thoughts.

Share and Enjoy
Ben