[GRLUG] PFSense boxes

Dan Pilcheck pilcheck at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 20:35:49 EST 2013

We've run pfSense at our warehouse for about a year now.
It's been reliable and is pretty straight forward.
A handful of people, voip phones and a T1.

At our office Untangle has been our proxy for nearly four years.
It does require a little more horsepower but has been very reliable as well.
In fact, recently(~6 mo) we put it in router mode. http://imgur.com/n84PFip
(We also moved from 1 subnet to many VLANs, Procurve handles internal
routes; we simplified our setup by removing an 1841 that only routed/NAT'd.)

We've only ever used Untangle's free features. Boss likes the report's
pie charts.
Its our first line of filtering, firewalling and monitoring -now with
routing as well.
Office handles about 50 people, phones. 10 meg fiber.

OpenVPN can not* run in bridged mode on either product.
We successfully run VPNs on both of the aforementioned products daily.

I don't have any experience with m0n0wall, IIRC I got the same feeling as Josh.

*Well, anything is possible if you're dedicated.