[GRLUG] Volume of updates

desert frag desertfrag at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 18:37:55 EST 2013

Has the frequency and volume of updates with various distros increased or decreased over the years?  After a long hiatus I installed CentOS and various Ubuntu based versions a few months back thinking that many of the tweaks, improvements, security measures, etc had been refined, to the point that I hadn't expected much in the way of updates as in years past.  I don't run that many programs but find myself surprised by how many new updates are available, far more than a typical Windows system has.  Many of them seem to be security related, suggesting there's holes than seem to continuously crop up.  What exactly is going on?