[GRLUG] Mounting USB flash drive (Centos 6.3)

John Wesorick john at wesorick.com
Tue Feb 5 23:16:48 EST 2013

Linux uses a single filesystem hierarchy. Everything is under / (even
removable or network drives). When you created the folder and mounted the
flash drive to /mnt/usbflash you were telling the OS that your flash drive
can be found at /mnt/usbflash. Without mounting it, Linux can't see it,
since it isn't in the file system hierarchy. Does that make sense?