[GRLUG] Mounting USB flash drive (Centos 6.3)

Steve @ HCS steveg at branchadventures.org
Tue Feb 5 22:38:49 EST 2013

While i'm out tonight wearing my ignorance on my shoulder,  i was
wondering if someone could provide an explanation of how the below works.

On a VMware server running Centos, i needed to copy some sql data onto a
flashdrive.  Once the USB host and device are attached to the VM,
in order to be able to write to the flashdrive i:

fdisk -l    and got the "sdc3" that i needed

But i just don't understand enough about the OS to know how the below
mounting works.  Why writing to the "usbflash" magically shows up on the
flashdrive is a mystery to my brain.

mkdir /mnt/usbflash
cp tmp/asdf.sql to the usbflash directory i just created
mount /dev/sdc3 /mnt/usbflash

P.S. Above is from memory of earlier in the day so hopefully is accurate