[GRLUG] OpenVPN and shares

Steve @ HCS steveg at branchadventures.org
Tue Feb 5 22:26:49 EST 2013

Thanks guys,

PFSense tunnel "host" inside net is 192.168.0.0/24
tunnel net is 192.168.99.*  issuing .6 on the connection (pingable from
host on only on LAN interface, and a 0. machine)
client outside: 108.79.220.88  (Pingable from 0. machine and host both
interfaces)

Turned of client side windows firewall, and antivirus.  No change

Attempting to open a "network places" of \\192.168.0.n\example yields
not accessible or no permission

I added the windows/system32/etc/lmhost and can ping that machine name
on the inside of the host from the client side.

FYI: I have a IPSec tunnel to another site that hits these share with no
problem.  (i understand that is a different animal)

I feel like such a noob, as it's probably something really basic i'm
overlooking...

On 2/5/2013 7:59 PM, Josh wrote:
> 192.168.0.* is your internal net
>
> what is your vpn net?
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Josh <leapole at gmail.com
> <mailto:leapole at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     kinda sounds like you have a one way route situation,
>
>     outside can ping and see everything but I am willing to bet inside
>     can not see whats connected to the vpn.
>
>     so ping with both machines and make sure that works
>

>     On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Mark Farver <mfarver at mindbent.org
>     <mailto:mfarver at mindbent.org>> wrote:
>
>         Not enough data on your setup but my first guess would be
>         windows or a third party firewall.  By default most firewalls
>         only allow windows sharing connections from the same subnet.
>
>         Second thing to try is put the server's machine name and IP
>         into the client PC's lmhosts file and verify you can ping by
>         name..then retry sharing.
>
>         Mark Farver

      Healthy Computer Systems

        Steve Grody - Owner