[GRLUG] mounting stuff

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sun Dec 22 19:12:53 EST 2013

On Sun, 2013-12-22 at 18:49 -0500, Topher wrote:
> I have a 1tb drive that I've been dual booting for years now.
>
> Today I put in an SSD and put Arch on it.  I used os-prober to help GRUB
> find my windows partition on the other drive, which it did just fine, so
> I'm dual again.
>
> I want to use my Linux partition on the 1tb drive as /home on the new
> filesystem.  Can I just that up in fstab and have it magically work?
>
> So that when I add a new user it makes that user's dir on the platter drive?
>
> Related, for now, how would I edit GRUB so that I could boot Linux from
> the ssd OR the platter drive?  My grub editing skilz are sad.  :(

Do you have all the stuff off the 1TB drive partitions that are Linux
dedicated?

If so... remove all the "Linux" partitions off the drive and
reallocate/create a new one dedicated for /home

After that, yes you can use a separate drive partition for home.

IF you are not going to reformat the drive... if your previous "homedir"
was on your "root" partition and you are not going to re-allocated it is
more difficult, but not out of the question, but it would be more
non-standard.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers."
    -- Voltaire