[GRLUG] dead computer

danwiddisii at gmail.com danwiddisii at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 10:41:45 EST 2013

Patrick,
They usually do - however I've seen them not beep as well - I don't mean to
be cryptic - but I've seen just about every type of failure out there -
it's fairly typical to have them not beep on memory errors now days.

If you can get it to power up to post and it crashes - (if you can) try to
download and burn that memtest86 disc and see if it'll boot off that - if
no luck you'll just have to work one thing at a time.

You may want to pick up a static strap (to protect parts/pieces while
swapping them out) - you'd be amazed at how a small amount of static
electricity can affect parts.
If you have a friend with the same type of memory see if you can work out
testing with their memory. That might save you some money.
Tigerdirect/Newegg have great deals on memory/system boards during the
holiday's so that may be a good time to upgrade/replace anyway.

Hopefully you'll get things worked out. I wish I could help but my current
pc is a little older (not to mentioned packed) since we're moving to
Florida next week :)

Good Luck!

Dan