[GRLUG] running wireless and ethernet at the same time

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 19:19:52 EST 2013

On my Mac (OSX - various levels), in the Network Pref Pane, the various
interfaces are listed in order of precedence. To give one interface higher
precedence, it can be dragged above the others. If one is active but not
connected, no traffic uses that interface. I currently have the Ethernet
interface set to higher precedence than the WiFi interface.

For further stringency, I have created "locations", with one having both
interfaces, and the other having only Ethernet. This way, if I forget to
switch location (with WiFi selected), but plug in Ethernet, the Ethernet
interface is used. When I use Ethernet, I usually remember to switch to the
location without WiFi, and this assures that I am using the Ethernet, and
not WiFi.

--Don Ellis