[GRLUG] Home Server recomendations

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 09:46:29 EST 2013

Short Story:
Building a server for home and I am looking for a power efficient box.

Long Story:

Well I moved my old atom based home server this weekend and thought I'll
just get the dust out of here while I'm at it.  I know I wasn't too careful
and yup I must have touched something in the case without proper grounding
and now I have a dead server.  Totally my fault, but now I am looking into
building another one.

Is it possible to troubleshoot what I destroyed when the computer doesn't
power on at all, hitting the power button yields nothing.

What I just destroyed was a foxconn barebones atom mini pc(N15235), and I
can't remember the CPU that it came with, It was a few years ago, but I
know that it wasn't the lowest powered Atom CPU.  This worked well enough
for pyTivo and Subsonic.  Transcoded videos with only a few minute lead
time needed.  I liked the Atom processor because it was supposedly good on
the electricity(but I never checked it out).

I'd like to build another one that does the same things, but I am looking
into maybe putting Plex on it.  Does Plex require a hefty cpu?

I plan on putting ubuntu server on it with:
Gitlab
Subsonic or Plex
PyTivo
OwnCloud
Other assorted fun server software, that I don't know yet.
I'd like usb 3.0 for speedier backing up, and at least 2 sata connections.
This is what I am looking at right now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119089

Share and Enjoy
Ben