[GRLUG] IPSec protected GRE tunnels on Cisco IOS [Was: VPN Help]

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Aug 4 19:57:43 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 17:03 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> At 04:44 PM 8/4/2013, Adam  Tauno Williams wrote:
> >A piece of crap from a vendor being dumped by its parent and with a
> >support life-cycle roughly equivalent to how long it took you to walk
> >out the door.  Put the manual on a thumbdrive and duct-tape it to the
> >device [seriously!] - because six months from now you [or the poor sod
> >who inherits this thing] will not be able to find anything at all about
> >this unit.
> OK, .. we ALL know by now how much you hate Linksys and LOVE putting
> together a POJ that you have to support, .. how about something maybe
> OT and *constructive* like hints on how to configure a
> remote-site-to-server VPN?

<http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-routers/868-cisco-router-gre-ipsec.html>

There are lots of good articles and examples; basically you want an
IPSec protected tunnel.  It is even better if your router platform
suppors VRF [Virtual Router Framework]; that is basically virtualization
for the router, so the router can be divided - the outside router cannot
communicate with the inside router.

With VRF you can do -

interface Tunnel3601
  ip vrf forwarding AAA
  ip address 192.168.3.5 255.255.255.252
  tunnel source Loopback3601
  tunnel destination 192.168.2.6
  tunnel vrf AAA-WAN
  tunnel protection ipsec profile AAA-P

 - where AAA is your internal VRF and AAA-WAN is your external VRF, so
the tunnel end-point is internal, but the tunnel traffic itself is
explicitly external.

<https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2027921>