[GRLUG] VPN Help

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sun Aug 4 18:54:20 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 16:34 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> At 10:17 PM 8/2/2013, Greg Folkert wrote:
>
> >I'd forgo the Linksys POSs and just dump a cheap Linux machine on each
> >end of the links.
>
> Don't know of many business that would want a cobbled-together
> machine vs. something new from a vendor with a warranty, ..

You seem to not know that "I do this stuff for a living." I only use
things I don't have to touch except in hardware failure modes.

I replaced a CISCO something or other with an 850MHz PIII "Network
Blazer" 1U machine in mid-2007. I had 15 B-to-B VPNs going to it from
many disparate systems. All of them worked with OpenSWAN even back then,
mainly because of the wonderful documentation they still have. It has
one thing bad about it, it was information dense and tough for the
uninitiated to understand. But read through it 5 or 6 times and it
should just click.

The only time I've had to touch the machine was to add or remove links.
I use things that work, not some POS LinkSys POS that is the biggest
Pile Of Schtuff I've seen.

It hardly works with itself and doesn't do well with even with ASA or
other dedicated networking gear.

I've had far more success with Linux and OpenSWAN for far longer than
some of the pieces you are wanting to use have even existed and don't
even work together with each other.

Cobbled together? I think not.

>          Thanks anyway,
>
>          Lee

Obviously you forget this is a *LINUX MAILING LIST*, don't start dissing
it until you try it bucko... and can prove you even begin to know WTF
you are talking about. Since, you've got no clue as to how many system
use OpenSWAN around the world... and as Adam put it OpenSWAN it *HARDLY*
cobbled together. It has pretty much made IPSEC what it is today, by
ironing out the mess/voodoo it used to be.

Cheers and all that.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."
    -- Bernard Williams