[GRLUG] Local APC UPS Repair

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 09:49:19 EDT 2013

I was getting at the last sentence - a car battery
or deep discharge marine battery.

But as I recently learned, one has to be careful
about the type of battery.  A deep discharge
marine battery is made to be taken way down.
But attach one to a common inverter, and once
the battery voltage goes down a few volts the
inverter doesn't have enough overhead and stops
working.  A car battery won't be much different
if used on its own.

I suspect the actual solution will be rather more
expensive.  One could imagine two batteries in
series, with a regulator, which would then dissipate
a lot of the energy in dropping the voltage so the
inverter can use it.  Or a built in switching mechanism
that will go from battery to battery.

Of course UPS's are really designed just to give
your computers time to shut down in an orderly
fashion, so perhaps all of this is beside the point,
and the reason no one offers a UPS with more
endurance.

   -- Bob