[GRLUG] modems etc

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 18:12:04 EDT 2013

I had heard some time ago that our cable provider (Charter) would
require a new DOCSIS3 to be procured through the Cable Company, but I
didn't believe it, and would be willing to try buying one and
returning it to MicroCenter with a complaint if it turned out to be
true. I prefer to own my own equipment these days, contrary to their
promise that leasing is better than owning. Haven't had enough
failures or other troubles to justify continuing long-term payments on
top of the base rates.

I have not yet upgraded [most of] my APs - just the main one that I
use as a router, which is a relatively new D-Link. The WRT54G I use at
the other end of the house doesn't seem to be a bottleneck. For the
most part I use hard connections for security reasons. At that end, I
seem to not be getting GigaBIt speeds on several links, which I plan
to diagnose and see if I can correct.

--Don Ellis