[GRLUG] Comcast doubles bandwidth at same popular prices.

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 17:25:17 EDT 2013

Here in St Louis MO, we've had a couple of outages at odd times, I
think the last was about 8am on a Sunday morning.

I called customer service; she checked my connection and said I needed
to upgrade to a DOCSIS3 modem - that my older modem was no longer
usable & was the cause for failure. Then she corrected herself and
said there was an outage in my area and asked if I'd like a phone call
to notify me when it came back.

After about an hour or so, my service came  back with a different IP
address and a faster connection speed. I think we're getting a fairly
consistent 20+Mbps now, and they occasionally upgrade without telling
us directly (and price stays the same).

I got the phone notification several hours after I was back online...

On NPR, I heard that Austin is now being prepared for Google Fiber,
and that AT&T has announced service upgrades in response.

--Don Ellis